Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Big Picture

I was catching up with an old coworker/friend of mine tonight, and mentioned he used to watch LOST and then stopped. After finding out I watch the show religiously, he then asked me where I thought they were going with it.

That put me at a bit of a loss. 

I get so caught up in all the "little mysteries" that I haven't really thought about what the point of the show is. What is the worst-case scenario here? What is Ms. Hawking (and Ben and Widmore?) trying to prevent? The closest thing we have to an answer here is The Numbers (Valenzetti Equation), which "predict the time of human extinction."

Of course, as my previous paragraph shows, we don't even know who the "good guys" are, let alone what their end goals are. 

The show strings us along with all of these concerns like "Who is Richard, really?" and "what is the smoke monster?" that we can't spend much time on what the overall story is here, and even if we did spend a ton of time on it, we couldn't figure much out thanks to the plethora of unexplained smaller questions.

Well played, LOST writers.

Theories on "Life of Bentham" tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. How can you really figure out where any show is going? Maybe with other shows you can have a better idea of what's going to happen, but you still probably don't know truly where the show's going. Unpredictability is what makes good shows, in my opinion. Why would you continue watching it if you knew where it was going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure unpredictability is fine, but usually by the fifth season TV shows have given their viewers the big picture. The unpredictability comes in how the problem is resolved and smaller subplots.

    ReplyDelete